A buncha pictures from the last few days...

It's Thursday, and I've just finished for the day...at 3:45. My days seems short, but they are really packed with things to do. Today I worked at my new job, a home accessories store in the middle of Hyde Park Square (for those locals and familiar)...it's like April Cornell mixed with Kiss the Cook (for you Burlingtonians)...and almost everything is breakable, which makes me very nervous! Yesterday I was helping with a display, and I was carrying $2,000 ceramic urns from here to there...it was like holding a newborn baby. The manager of the store is a great merchandiser (I think) and mostly I've just been helping her make displays...business is not as brisk as we would like...yesterday, only seven people came in...and mostly just to look. this morning, however, a woman came in and bought almost our entire window display...she spent more than I made in two weeks working at City Market! After work, I ran to catch the bus and then another fine meal from the Xavier cafe. (a veggie burger and fries, consumed in philosophy class.) I sat in the back row for the first time ever, with three kids typing their notes on laptops, while I scribbled away in my notebook...when I snuck a peak on their screens, I saw they were IM-ing and surfing the Reno 911 website. I considered passing the girl a note about my own devotion to Clemmy and Lt. Dangle...but I decided against it. Oh yeah, I mentioned pictures, huh? This is The Echo diner, in Hyde Park. My grandfather and I went here after church all the time...he attended church every morning...I love The Echo, simply because, like all great diners...it hasn't changed. Same with Arthur's, the bar next door to The Echo. I'm not sure if you can see it, but the wall behind the sign has a mural with charactatures of all the old school regulars...when I was a kid, I used to try and find people that I knew...now I just want to be on the wall myself. I'm not (and I never was) a regular by any means...but I have a few fond memories of Arthur's. It's what I thought the Daily Planet was, to me... The following pictures are the before and after of the snowmen on our front lawn. It's been snowing and cold all week...but there's no helping these snow creatures...they are past the point of no return. Does anyone remember Calvin and Hobbes building snowmen that represented their enemies, so that as they slowly melt, Calivin can feel superior? Melting snowmen are depressing to see... Finally, a picture of the beloved Norm eating the beloved skyline...Clifton Skyline...not the original, which is in Price Hill...but I'm an Eastsider and I cannot navigate the West Side...ask anyone from Cincinnati. Tonight, we are going to Zips or The Echo and then...and then...GREATER'S! My first Greater's in FOREVER...and Hyde Park Greater's, to boot! We could go to Clifton Greater's, it's more traditional Iced cream shop, with the marble tables and wrought iron chairs...but HP Greater's is MY HOUSE! I'm out, yo...I have to go to my house and perhaps do laundry, or maybe just catch my breath.

No comments: