This is the face of cheddar cheese people...

So...after a few days of getting acclimated and finally buying more batteries for the camera...I ventured into the dining hall to take a few shots of the local fare available to me. I literally laughed out loud when I saw the bin of cheddar cheese...ORANGE cheddar, of course... (a small aside...there are three extremely enthusiastic D&D GM's having a debate at the table next to me...talking about hiring wizards to cast spells, and discussing the new idea of unlimited character concepts. oh, and they HATE Magic, The Gathering) Getting back to the food. Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot of the "Veggie Saute" that was served Tuesday night for dinner...let's just say the prevailing flavor was the cream of mushroom soup that covered the brightly (?) colored veggies on the plate. I ate some out of pity for making the "chef" list the ingredients and methods, without getting a glimpse of the dish. Live and learn. One thing that is awesome... Unlimited amounts of Jello with whipped topping...it may be gelatin...but it's so tasty! So my new routine is to leave the house in the morning and not go back until after my classes are over. I try and hang in the student center during the downtime, and then after classes are over for the day, I get on the bus and go to a lounge to read and do homework. I've tried a few places and found that my favorite drink (Irish Whiskey on the rocks) is only $4 at my new favorite bar! Score! After the lounge, it's off to Awakenings...a sort of Uncommon Grounds style place...no overstuffed couches or booths...and lots of students my age tapping on their computers and listening to headphones. Last night I walked in and saw a boy I had met a month before I moved to Burlington 6 years ago...wild. He and I remembered each other well enough to keep talking, and then he was nice enough to drive me home. It's not that I don't like where I live or anything...but it's still weird to think that it's not just my apartment; the three other ladies can have it in the afternoon...plus I miss my kitty so much, it's kind of wierd to hang out in "my room" without the Green Monster to keep me company. Tonight is the XU/Mass. basketball game, and I am totally going. The word on campus is that ESPN will be there to capture our "school spirit" for some contest. We've been encouraged to paint our faces and dress up...I think I'll wear a blue sweater and sit in the back. Look for me. The D&D kids have broken up, but their conversations were hilarious. I'm jealous of people with campus buddies...I still haven't found a boy to crush on or a few people to eat lunch with...I'm still the old lady that eats by herself...reading the paper and taking pictures of the cereal bar. Peter...unlimited cereal...it's a dream come true! Some dude is walking near me right now...he is wearing an Axl Rose t-shirt (which is awesome) and cut off shorts (ummm...) but the best part is that the kid looks just like Axl's picture...they both have their dirty blonde hair tied back with the same color bandana, and a scowl on their face. If I hadn't seen the kid in my Econ. class yeasterday, I would rush up and thank him for "Use your Illusion II"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O sweet jayzus, I dimly remember th' Horror of Dining Hall Food.
There were many "bars" of schtuff; cereal, hotdogs, sundaes. No fruit or veg bar, though...th' "salad bar" is mostly soupy 3 bean salad or jello molds or mayo-covered, uh, things. Possibly with noodles.

Next week, I will bring you: Cabot cheese (sans annatto), ass't. veggies, uh, maple syrup?, and anything else y'can think of.

Y'gotta fight th' Freshman 15 somehow, even though you're an Unexpected Junior(!!)

emily said...

ahhh yes...the yellow cheddar of the midwest. I once won a bet with a friend who thought cheddar was naturally that color.